If you’re a parent, you know how precious your free time is. It feels like every hour of the day is dominated by caring for your little ones, and after story time and bedtime routines, you’re too exhausted to finally focus on yourself. Still, it is essential to carve out even just a little bit of time for yourself each day. Whether you can find 5 minutes or 30, incorporating some of these practices into your daily life will help recharge your batteries and improve your parenting and well-being.
If you have 5 minutes…
If your kids are little, finding even five minutes of “me” time can be hard, but you can do a lot for yourself in that small amount of time. Here are a few suggestions to turn that five minutes into a self-care moment:
• Enjoy a warm cup of herbal tea.
• Write a note to a friend or family member you haven’t connected with in some time.
• Clean out something easy to tackle that has been bugging you, like the junk drawer in your kitchen.
• Jot down a few lines in a gratitude journal.
• Sit on your stoop and breath the fresh air in.
• Listen to your favorite song, move your body and sing.
• Practice a five-minute meditation to calm your nerves and clear your head.
• Do some simple stretches or a few easy yoga poses.
• Give yourself a five-minute quick neck massage.
If you have 15 to 30 minutes…
These self-care exercises take a bit more time, but they are worth every minute!
• Take a bath. For more relaxation, add a bath bomb or light your favorite candle.
• Call a friend for a chat.
• Take a walk around your neighborhood.
• Enjoy a power nap.
• Doodle or color in an art journal.
• Read a short story.
• Watch an episode of your favorite show.
• Give yourself a mini facial.
• Head to Forgey Chiropractic for an adjustment!
We know planning for self-care time can be difficult for busy parents. That’s one of the reasons we offer same-day and walk-in appointments. You can also schedule an appointment in advance by calling us at 360-573-5500. We are open six days a week and hope to see you soon!