When you were a kid, did your mom warn you not to swallow bubble gum because a gum tree would grow in your belly? Or maybe she told you not to cross your eyes because they’d freeze like that forever?
Ok, neither of those are true, but you should have listened to her when she also told you to sit up straight!
Many people today spend their days at sedentary jobs that require sitting behind a desk for hours and hours. Our leisure time activities also often involve sitting — whether it is streaming Netflix or refreshing our Facebook feeds.
Whether you are at work or at home, good posture is important! It’s so important, in fact, that the health of your spine depends on it. Just ask the patients at our chiropractic clinic in Vancouver who suffer from back pain — poor posture is a leading contributor!
You’re probably sitting somewhere right now. Don’t move (that’s cheating!) and let’s do a quick posture check:
– Take a look at the chair you’re sitting in. Does it provide lumbar support? Does the natural curve of your spine fit the backrest?
– Look at your feet. Are they flat on the ground? Are your knees bend at a right angle?
– What about your buttocks, back and shoulders? Are they sitting against the backrest of your chair?
– Are your shoulders hunched forward, or are they even and relaxed?
– Is your body weight distributed equally across your hips?
– Are your hips level with your knees?
If the answer to any of these questions is “no,” you are adding extra stress on your spine. Unless you change your poor posture habits, you may end up with back pain.
Develop Good Posture Habits
Making the change to better posture takes awareness. We bet you already started adjusting when doing the check above! Build the healthy habit by keeping a post-it note reminder on your desk or scheduling an alarm on your phone. Once you get in the habit of doing “posture checks” daily, you’ll become more aware of how you are sitting and the effect it has on your body.
If you’re already suffering from back pain as a result of poor posture, contact us for an appointment today. Our chiropractors can guide you on the path to a healthier spine!